Maybe everybody knew this but me, but it’s been totally bugging me personally. For my recent Web Services Applied class, when they set up the lab machines someone goofed up the permissions. For reason or reasons I don’t understand (I’m guessing some kind of domain policy) there didn’t seem to be any way to get a web service running under IIS to allow anonymous access. Everything worked fine with Integrated Authentication set, as long as the client knew what it was doing, which meant that WebServicesStudio worked just fine, you could hit the web service with IE and get the default page back. But as soon as you tried to hit the web service from C# client code, you’d invariably get back HTTP 401.1 Unauthorized. I tried changing every set of IIS and file system permissions I could think of, to no avail. Crap. Luckily, at long last Google once again came to the rescue. I still don’t know why anonymous access doesn’t work, but I do know how to make the client problem go away.
static void Main(string args)
localhost.Service1 serv = new ConsoleApplication2.localhost.Service1();
serv.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;
Setting the credentials on the proxy allows Integrated Authentication to work the way it’s supposed to, and everything works just fine. Unfortunately I didn’t figure this out until my class was about half way through their final last night, but at least that’s better than not figuring it out at all.
Powered by: newtelligence dasBlog 2.3.9074.18820
The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent
my employer's view in any way.
© Copyright 2017, Patrick Cauldwell