# Friday, June 27, 2003

I finally got around to creating my first RSS feed today.  We are using an automated build tool for .NET called Draco.NET to build our (rather complex) application.  The great thing about Draco is that it watches your source-code repository for any changes, and rebuilds if it detects any changes.  When it’s done, you get a very nicely formatted email that tells you if the build succeeded or failed. 

Unfortunately, as your build process grows, so does the email, since it includes the output from the NAnt build.  Also, because of some strangeness in CVS log files, Draco tends to build rather more frequently than it really needs to, particularly if you are building from two different branches.  The end result is, lots of great big email, or “build spam”. 

So, I cooked up a quick ASP.NET application that will look at the directory containing output from Draco and turn it into an RSS feed.  Now all I get is the success or failure of the build in the RSS stream, with a link to another page that provides the full results if I want to see them.  A relatively small accomplishment, I realize, but there you have it.  

What the exercise did do is confirm my faith in two things:  1) RSS is pretty darn handy, and has a lot of applications, and 2) .NET is pretty much the most straightforward way to do just about anything.  The ASP.NET application only took around 2 hours, and would have taken MUCH longer in ASP or (heaven forefend) ATL Server.

[Listening to: Lady Diamond - Steeleye Span - Spanning the Years(04:37)]