# Thursday, 26 April 2007

Back in February, I mentioned that I was having problems testing our AzMan code on developer machines running Window XP instead of Windows 2003 server.  This was because the 2003 Server version of the AzMan interfaces weren't present on XP.  To deal with the issue, we actually put some code in our unit tests that reported success if running on XP when the error was encountered, so that everyone could have a successful build.  Drag.

Anyway, it turns out I wasn't the only one having this problem.  Helpful reader Jose M. Aragon says

We are trying to get AzMan into our authorization architecture, and were able to do it nicely, as soon as the development was done on Windows Server 2003. But, when we tried to use IAzClientContext2.GetAssignedScopesPage on a developers machine running XP sp2 it fails miserably with a type initialization. Searching on help, I found your entry. so we started to circumvent the problem by programming our own "GetAssignedScopes" method.

Meanwhile, on another XP workstation, the problem was not occurring. So, it turns out the difference resides in what was the Server 2003 admin pack package installed on every XP machine..

adminpak.exe sized 12.537KB on 24 Jan 2007 : Does NOT include IAzClientContext2 on azroles.dll

WindowsServer2003-KB304718-AdministrationToolsPack.exe sized 13.175KB on 13 March 2007 : allows using IAzClientContext2 on XP

It seems the two files where downloaded from microsoft.com/downloads, but the one on Server2K3 SP1 is the most recent AdminPak.

I uninstalled my original version of the Admin Pack on my XP-running laptop, installed the new one, and now all of our tests succeed without the hack!

Thanks Jose!