I'm heading for a small event this weekend that's billed as a "Norse Rendezvous", meaning we're roughing it with as little gear as we can manage, and trying to find out how much trouble we can get into.
In keeping with the theme, I'm trying to figure out what the Viking equivalent of traveling provisions (aka bachelor food) would be. In a Fur Trade (Mountain Man) context, that might mean some bacon and beans or dried corn, maybe some flour and salt for biscuits, jerky, etc.
So far I think I'm going to bring
- a loaf of Swedish dark rye bread (from a mix I got at IKEA over the weekend) which looks like a very black soda bread, coarse grained
- pickled herring ('cause you have to have some, and it's the bomb)
- sauerkraut (good winter vegetable, keeps well)
- cheese (something Scandinavian appropriate, maybe gjetost)
- hard boiled eggs (also good for traveling, keep well, calorie dense)
- maybe a spot of bacon, but I might be too lazy to cook it.
- some dried fruit, apples or prunes would be good
Hopefully by the end of the weekend I won't be too sick of eating that stuff. I'm thinking not.